Sunday 21 October 2012

Discipleship and Sacrifice

James and John, the sons of Zebedee, approached Jesus. ‘Master,’ they said to him ‘we want you to do us a favour.’ He said to them, ‘What is it you want me to do for you?’ They said to him, ‘Allow us to sit one at your right hand and the other at your left in your glory.’ ‘You do not know what you are asking’ Jesus said to them. ‘Can you drink the cup that I must drink, or be baptised with the baptism with which I must be baptised?’ They replied, ‘We can.’ Jesus said to them, ‘The cup that I must drink you shall drink, and with the baptism with which I must be baptised you shall be baptised, but as for seats at my right hand or my left, these are not mine to grant; they belong to those to whom they have been allotted.’ 
Mark 10: 35-40

James and John are looking for true communion with Jesus. Christianity values this communion as the most important thing, above earthly pleasures and fleeting happiness, true joy is found in being close to the Creator and following in his ways. This is discipleship, this following, listening - the real aim is to be like, speak with, and act as the master. So when we see disciples we see imitators of Christ. When we see Christians we should not see people whose lives are easy, or whose prayers are like takeaway orders but people whose longing is to be with Christ.

When the disciples ask to sit with him in glory, Jesus tells them that they don't understand their own request, he knows, he has foretold where he is going, and the journey that will take him there. He knows that they must walk in his footsteps to get there. He asks them, can you really follow me? Can you drink the cup, can you be baptised with me? Good disciples want nothing more than to be like the master. Yes, they reply, we can. They have foretold, with Christ, their own destiny. Like him, the disciples will suffer witnessing to truth, most of them will die at the hands of others, speaking the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Christianity is not going to make life easier or more pleasurable. Christ promises us that we are blessed when we are derided and persecuted for his name. Sharing in Christ's life means sharing in his sacrifice, we must let go of the earthly and fleshy desires that govern our lives without him and start to bear the cross of choosing to walk like him every day. He asks us - can you follow me? Yes, we reply, but not with my own strength. 

We are to choose to be like him, to let go of the things that comfort us, to put others first and to reject the momentary pleasures that come with sin for the eternal joy and honour of remaining in Christ, and for that we ask for his strength, he sacrificed himself so that we might be free, so must we lay down our lives in sacrifice to follow him and to witness to his gospel.


It's not easy. How can I make my small, insignificant life a real sacrifice? Would I have the strength of conviction to be a martyr? The answer can only come in prayer and devotion. 

Help me Lord, in my good resolution
And in your holy service,
and give me grace now, this day to begin truly
for what I have hitherto done is nothing.
           Thomas a Kempis