Monday 26 October 2015

Beginning to Weave...

I've found a new obsession! Weaving fascinates me, it's not only design and use of colour, there's a geometry and underlying - almost subconscious - mathematics to it that is causing an addiction. I am enjoying working different patterns and shapes to find out what I can create.

I found a great tutorial that was really helpful in going through the basic techniques (and essentially - the vocabulary) and asked my father-in-law to help me make a loom based on the instructions there (basically some nails in a board). His idea though, was to make a loom bigger and better than I could have asked for, so I now have this beautiful oak peg loom with copper pins, on which I have so far completed about three decorative pieces and have already started the next.

It was only after I had commissioned my loom and started my experimentation that my own Dad said "Oh you're interested in weaving, would you like a loom?" It turns out he has been holding onto the loom that my Gran used when she learnt to weave. It's bigger and more complex than my own, so I'll have to spend some time researching how to use it.

I'll be taking my first weaving class this week, I can't wait to find out more about this timeless craft.


Adventures in weaving - from prep through working on the loom to finished article

No comments:

Post a Comment